What your business can do now to cope with Covid-19
With the spread of the Covid-19 coronavirus now seemingly a certainty, it’s time for businesses to put in place plans to deal with the consequences.
Whilst some organisations cannot function without staff being physically present (such as retail businesses), a surprising number could get by perfectly well by arranging for their employees to work from home. Regular remote working is something we have always offered at Callagenix, so this is something we know can work well if things are set up properly.
Here’s a few recommendations for what you could do now to successfully navigate the next few weeks or months:
- Make sure everyone who might be working at home has access to all the services they need to use. Ensure they have all the required passwords and contact details to hand, and anything else they need to carry on working as usual.
- Set up a staff emergency information line, and possibly one for clients and suppliers if required. An information line is simply a recorded message people can access by calling a number. You can update it as often as you need to with up to date information. You can also choose to set it up so people can leave messages. Information lines can handle thousands of concurrent calls, so getting an engaged tone will never be a problem.
- Make sure you have up to date phone numbers for your staff. You can use these by sending out bulk SMS messages to keep people up to date, or to inform them there’s a new message with more detailed advice on your information line.
- Redirect phone calls from office extensions to people’s home or mobile numbers. If you are already a Callagenix client this is easy to do from your online control panel. If not, please contact us so we can advise on how to get this sorted out. You can effectively mirror your existing phone system and route calls to different people wherever they are located in the same way you normally would. If someone will be using their personal phone, rather than a company one, you can add services like call whispering and time of day to ensure they only get calls during work hours, and that they are aware it’s a work call before answering.
- Switch to VoIP. If you’re already a Callagenix VoIP customer you will be able to use your existing handsets at home through your router with minimal disruption. Please contact us to check what to do. Alternatively, you can download an app to your smartphone and connect to your company’s VoIP account through that. You can toggle between routing calls to your office phone or VoIP enabled mobile using automatic rules, or manually via your control panel.
- As we’re already into the third month of the year, now is a good time to take the opportunity to take a step back and review your plans. We suggest including a full review of your business continuity / disaster recovery planning as this is an obvious time to do so when the challenges you’re facing are very real.
Overall, we recommend not panicking but instead take the time to put in some sensible measures to minimise disruption whilst the virus runs its course.
If you’ve always thought about trialling home working as an option, now is a good time to test it out and see how it goes. People often respond well to the extra flexibility that working from home provides. Without long, tiring commutes, office politics, and constant low level distraction, you may even find your team’s productivity increases.
If you need any help with the above please contact us today.