0870 numbers are non-geographic national rate numbers. They cost no more to call than a geographic rate number (01 and 02 numbers) from a BT landline.
This can be up to 10p / minute, but is often less and sometimes the call may even be included as part of an inclusive minutes call package. Calls from other landline providers, and especially from mobiles, may cost more.
Benefits of 0870 numbersGet an 0870 number
- Easy to take your number with you if you relocate.
- Forward your calls to your existing landline, mobile or anywhere in the world.
- An 0870 number can be reliably called from outside of the UK.
- An 0870 non-geographic number can help make you look more professional.
An added advantage is that the Callagenix range of 0870 numbers has been specifically set up to allow callers from most countries outside the UK to contact you.
How are 0870 numbers used?
Once you have chosen your number, you can set it up in one of two ways:
- Using our Basic Service, you can easily divert calls made to your 0870 number on to any UK landline number starting with 01 or 02. This is a simple and low-cost way to get started.
- If you need more flexibility, you can combine your number with our Advanced Services. For example, you could build a complete phone system around a virtual pbx, set up group diverts to distribute calls to your staff, or simply divert all calls to a mobile or international number.
There's also nothing to stop you starting with the Basic Service and upgrading to Advanced Services when the time is right.
You can read more about how 0870 numbers are used with each option on this page:
Ofcom regulations when using 0870 numbers
In order to make things clearer for the consumer, Ofcom has broken up the cost of calling 0870 numbers into two parts - the service charge and the access charge.
- The service charge. This is the part we know - it is the rate to call the 0844 number and is charged per minute. You can find the current service charge (ex.VAT) for your 0870 number in the blue box, below.
- The access charge. This is an additional rate set by the caller’s phone service provider, so will vary from service provider to service provider.
Displaying the cost of your number
As the operator of an 0870 number, you are obliged to display these service charges alongside your number wherever you use it, such as on your website or marketing materials.
The recommended format to use is:
"Calls cost 10.8333 pence per minute (ex. VAT), plus your phone company's access charge."
If you have any questions on this please contact us for clarification. You can also read more by clicking here.
Typical Uses / Users
- UK & international sales, marketing and fax lines
- Support and customer service lines
*NOTE* If you are considering using an 084x, 087x or 09x number for post-sales support (such as a helpline, customer service, billings or complaints) please be aware this is now illegal in some circumstances. For full details please click here.
0870 Number Costs
|Callers pays||Calls cost 10.8333 pence per minute (ex. VAT), plus your phone company's access charge.|
|Inbound call charge||2ppm|
|Revenue received||Not applicable|
|Advanced Service||From 40p per day, depending on the service specified. See Available Services and Divert Cost Calculator.|
|Basic Service||See our bundle prices|
|Setup / connection||Free (memorable numbers may incur a charge)|
|Annual charge||Not applicable|
|Security deposit||Not applicable|
|Cost and revenue excl. VAT, caller cost inc. VAT, caller cost assumes dialled from national carrier, e.g. BT|
If you already have an 0870 number and would like to take advantage of our call rates or revenues, or use our intelligent phone services, you may be able to port your number to us.
For more details please click here.
To get started, call us on +44 (0) 333 247 00 00 or click here to pick a number